Gas Furnaces and Carbon Monoxide: The Risks and How to Protect Your Family

February 06, 2017
Whenever your gas furnace is on, carbon monoxide is being produced. However, there is no reason to worry. It is a natural consequence of the fuel-burning process. As long as your furnace is operating properly, it is safely deposited outside your home. Carbon monoxide is stored inside your furnace’s heat exchanger until it is safely forced through the flue vent to the open air around your home. Carbon monoxide poisoning is a consequence of a malfunctioning gas furnace.

Inhaling too much carbon monoxide stops the body from using oxygen and can hurt the central nervous system and heart. While carbon monoxide poisoning can affect anyone exposed to the gas, it is especially risky for people with existing lung or heart problems, pregnant woman, infants and children. Here are some tips to ease your mine mind and sustain a healthy, comfortable and safe home.

1. Invest in carbon monoxide detectors. Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas that can’t be detected by humans. Without a detector, it’s almost impossible to perceive carbon monoxide is accumulating in your home. You may not know until someone starts showing symptoms of poisoning. Put carbon monoxide detectors on every floor of your home, ideally near bedrooms, to be alerted to rising levels before anyone gets sick.
2. Be sure your gas furnace was installed properly. If your gas furnace wasn’t installed by professionals, you should have it looked at. The experts at Point Heating & Cooling can make sure your blower motor is installed properly and that there are no flaws in your ductwork design. Carbon monoxide can accrue if there are problems in those territories.
3. Schedule annual maintenance. Regular maintenance is the best action to take to prevent carbon monoxide leaks from your gas furnace. During a yearly tune-up, your experts will clean your system and examine it for malfunctions or problems. It’s also a good idea to have any other gas-, coal- or oil-burning appliances professionally serviced as well.
4. Keep your air filter clean. A stoppage of airflow caused by a spoiled filter can cause carbon monoxide to bleed out from your system. Set a reminder on your phone or mark your calendar to routinely check your air filter and clean or change it per the manufacturer’s recommendation.
5. Always rely on professionals to service your gas furnace and other fuel-burning appliances.


Carbon monoxide can be extremely hazardous, but you can have peace of mind by taking a few safeguards. You’ll always have the professionals at Point Heating & Cooling in Plover just around the corner to help, too. Give us a call at 715-504-0533 if you have questions or concerns about carbon monoxide or your gas furnace. You can also schedule an appointment using our online scheduler.