While winter weather seems like it’s already been going on for way too long, its influence on our heating bill is only beginning. Keeping energy costs low during the coldest months of the year can be challenging, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to help reduce those costs. That’s why we’ve come up with a few furnace tips to help keep soaring heating bills at bay.
To start controlling your heating bills and increasing your energy efficiency this winter, consider:
- Keeping your blinds open during the warmest parts of the day to allow sunlight in, heating your home naturally.
- Sealing cracks around your home’s windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- Adding a programmable thermostat so that you can more easily control the temperature in your home, which will also improve energy efficiency.
- Cleaning or replacing your furnace filter every few months.
- Inspecting your heating vents to make sure they are open and aren’t blocked by any obstructions
- Replacing your old furnace with a newer, more efficient model if your current furnace is more than 15 years old.
- Putting insulation in your attic to keep warm air from escaping.
- Checking your roof to ensure your shingles are intact, and that no holes or areas need sealing.
Attempting to keep your energy bills down and energy efficiency up, is a year-round practice, one that can seem overwhelming at times. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t do a few small things to make sure you’re keeping your bills as low as possible. If you have any questions regarding the tips above or questions about how you can reduce your heating bills, give us a jingle at 715-504-0533. Our experts are here to help ensure your home is comfortable all year long, even with the crazy Plover weather.