Generally, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Depending on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, if you have pets, and how regularly your air filter has been swapped out, to name a few—you may adjust your air duct cleaning
more or less frequently. So, how can you find out for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are definitely some significant signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns covered with dust or pet hair?
- Is there a blockage inside your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers blowing out dust?
- When you look inside with a flashlight, can you see a buildup of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents found shelter in your ductwork?
- Can you hear clatter other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have not as much airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s more than likely time to ask Point Heating & Cooling in Plover about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are some things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and extend the amount of time between professional cleanings.
Above all, setup regular HVAC maintenance with the specialists at Point Heating & Cooling. A tune-up of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should include inspection, and potential replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system functioning efficiently, and may help keep your ducts clean.
You can also converse with the team at Point Heating & Cooling about installing an air purification system. We have the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other measures you can take include:
- Frequently dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Checking your air filters routinely and replacing them when the manufacturer recommends replacing them. Most filters will show dust on them after a short time in service, but they may not demand replacement.
- Sealing leaks in air ducts that allow dust to move in from areas like your attic.
- Trading poor or damaged air-duct insulation.
With a professional air duct cleaning and some preemptive measures, you can help keep the air in your Plover home clean and healthy. Give the pros at Point Heating & Cooling a call at 715-504-0533.